Friday, June 22, 2012

Homemade Mayonnaise



 

    I have tried a few different mayonnaise recipes and have found quite a few I didn't like. My kids like store bought everything. This starts my attempt to make as much homemade products as I can, that will taste like store bought, so they will eat them.
Since I am out of mayonnaise at this time, today is mayo making day. I keep mine in squeeze mayo bottles I reused from a major brand we had been buying. A double batch of this recipe fits in one bottle (I have two bottles).
    Here is the recipe I have tried and the kids don't seem to notice the difference. Yes, I did tell them I made it and they ate it willingly.

 

Homemade Mayo
1 egg (these are eggs my chickens laid in a container my neighbor brought me)
1 tsp mustard
½ tsp salt
1 ½ teaspoon vinegar (I used white distilled since I had plenty on hand from canning.)
1 cup oil
1 ½ Tablespoon lemon juice




 

    I start with adding all the ingredients except the oil. For the oil, you can add whatever kind you want. I have been adding vegetable oil. I have tried olive oil but the kids don't like the flavor.
    This can be done in a mixer at a higher speed, the blender or, like I do, with the hand blender. The oil is added, while blending, in a very slow stream. It needs to be added very slowly while you blend for it to mix up right. 



    My first attempt, I added half the oil, blended, then added the other half and that was a true waste of ingredients. It turned out this runny mess that I couldn't save.

 

    My husband wants me to make a garlic mayo next.

Shared with link parties on:
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/06/natural-aftershave-and-wednesdays.html
http://thefrugalgirls.com/


3 comments:

  1. Great recipe. I was wondering if you would link it in my Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop. Here is the link:

    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/06/natural-aftershave-and-wednesdays.html

    I would love to have anything that you would like to link.
    Sincerely,
    Debi Bolocofsky
    www.adornedfromabove.com
    Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love homemade mayo. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for linking.
      Debi

      Delete
  2. I remember as a child eating homemade mayo! I love this!

    ReplyDelete