Thursday, August 7, 2014

Homemade Egg Noodles

Homemade Egg Noodles


     This is something simple and inexpensive, and the flavor of homemade can't be replaced.  When I make my mom's chicken and noodles, it is always made with homemade noodles.  Here is the recipe I use:


1 cup flour
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon salt.

This is fun to make and the kids can even help.  Put the flour directly on the counter and make a well in the center.

Add the other ingredients into the well and mix together with your hands. If it is too wet, you can add a bit more flour, and if it is too dry, a bit more liquid.  When it is mixed, let it rest for 10 minutes.

 I use my hand crank pasta machine for the next part, but my sister uses a rolling pin and does it mom's way. Since I don't have the strength to roll it out, I used my pasta machine to get it as thin as I needed.  I used a setting of 3 for this batch. 

 Roll the dough out into a 16x12" rectangle.  If cutting by hand, sprinkle with a bit of flour so it won't stick together and roll the dough up like a jelly roll (it can be rolled from either side).  Slice the roll 1/4" thick and unroll.  You can cut them to the length you like.   I started with cutting the large strip into thirds and I used the pasta machine to cut one and did the roll and cut method for the other two, so you can see how it is done.



These should dry a few hours but we are impatient at that point and don't want to wait that long.  To cook them, just toss them in some salted water or broth and cook until done.  The amount of time it takes to cook depends on how thin you rolled the dough out.  Mine are usually a bit thicker and take a bit longer.

Enjoy!

Posted on the following Blog Hop Link Up pages:
Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop
From The Farm Blog Hop

No comments:

Post a Comment