Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Lentil Shepards Pie

      I had someone ask for the recipe for this.  Like most things I make, I look at recipes on the web and then make my own.  You will have to excuse my images.  I am not a professional and did this as I was making it.

      I had made a pound of lentils earlier in the week so we could use them in various meals.  I started with adding the remaining lentils (about half the package) and spread them in the bottom of my pan.





     I made a gravy from a carton of vegetable broth and some cornstarch.  You can use flour as your thickening agent as well.  Sorry for the blurriness (is that a word?)

I spread about half the gravy over the lentils, letting it seep in.  To do dinner quickly, we used frozen peas and carrots.  That layer went on next.
   Precook those so they are warm. You can also do fresh but I suggest cooking them first.
Earlier in the day we baked some potatoes in the sun oven.
They aren't really in this load, but I wanted to give you an idea of how we cook when the sun is up and wind is down.
Since my family loves the potato skins (and I'm a bit lazy so I don't complain), we leave the peelings on our mashed potatoes. They don't look as beautiful or glamorous but they are nutritious and very yummy.  I mashed the potatoes with a bit of almond milk to keep it in our diet limits (more on the diet later).



The potatoes are spooned on top as the final layer.  I added a bit of shredded veggie cheese and a sprinkle of green onion.  Heat the entire thing in the oven at about 350 degrees F until warm and the gravy gets all bubbly.

    The other half of the gravy, we topped our portion with after it was served.  The meal is complete as is or could be eaten with a nice green salad.
My family really loved it and I can see it on many more menu plans in the future.

What are some meatless meals that you are serving?



No comments:

Post a Comment