Monday, July 28, 2014

Menu Plan Monday 7/28/14 and Budget Challenge Results

Menu Plan Monday 7/28/14


                                                                                 
     When I buy meats at the store, I usually buy in the big family packs because they are more cost effective.  In doing so, I have alot of meat left since we only use half the package for a meal.  You will see our weekly budget go up and down because of that.

     Without further delay, here is this weeks menu (not necessarily in this order):

1.  Ribs, cucumber and tomato salad, beans

2.  Spaghetti with garlic bread

3.  Chicken helper, vegetable, rolls

4.  Navy Beans with ham hock, cornbread

5.  Painted Desert Chili Mix in a Jar (recipe HERE), Cornbread

6.  Stuffed Cabbage, Dinner Rolls

7.  Ham, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Vegetable, Rolls

$155 Challenge Results for the Week

  We did rather well with the challenge for this first week.  We spent a total of $134.03 and had $20.97 remaining to start this week with.  This included two trips to the grocery store and one to Fruit King   I made a trip to the bank this morning and added $155 for this week to my grocery money pouch and did my weekly shopping.  I will post results next week, since I may have to make a trip or two to the store between now and then.
     
     I think we can actually cut the spending a bit more, but I want to make sure I can do this before we lower the amount.




2 comments:

  1. Dang girl! My husband and I spent $130 on groceries this week to feed the too of us, not 5 kids! We by organic but don't cook meet in the house so those two purchases should cancel each other out. I posted a meal plan on my blog the other day. I hope to make it a fairly regular occurrence. Have you tried subbing out some of the meat for whole grains like farro? I get it in the bulk bin section and find that its substantial enough to fill in for meat. It makes great hearty salads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three of our children are adults and don't live here any more. The two children that are here eat adult size portions so those groceries are for a family of 4. I have never tried farro before. Is it high in protein? We try not to stretch protein with grains if it will lower the protein in our diets. Thank you for your comments.

      Delete